For My Viewers
I value the trust of my audience above all else. I strive to maintain the highest ethical standards in my work, and I am committed to being transparent and accountable to YOU.
In order to uphold this trust, I make the following promises:
- Your trust is the most valuable aspect of my business and guides my actions.
- I will never compromise my view on any subject due to a sponsor, ever.
- All promoted products or services are things I already use or have tested for at least one month prior to being featured.
- If you feel that I’ve violated your trust, please contact me at tickersymbolyou[at]gmail[dot]com. I am committed to addressing any concerns you may have in a timely and respectful manner.
As a content creator, I am always looking for opportunities to partner with brands and companies whose products or services align with the interests and needs of my audience. However, I am also committed to maintaining my ethical standards and upholding the trust of my viewers.
In order to ensure that any sponsored content is ethical and transparent, I have the following guidelines for potential sponsors:
- Your brand must be a fit for my audience’s interests.
- Your product or service must be well-regarded, regulated, and reputable.
- While you may review the sponsored portion of a video prior to publishing, you will not have any editorial control over the video itself.
NOTE: I will NOT work with the following brands: alcohol, tobacco, adult-related, gambling, or politics.
How I Earn Money
YouTube’s Adsense rates vary wildly, making it an unreliable way to run a business. The most reliable method of revenue for my research is sponsored integrations, sometimes referred to as “shoutouts”. These are usually 45-60 second segments talking about a relevant product or service. There is always a clear message at the beginning of a video (e.g. “this video contains a paid promotion”) as well as verbal and/or visual call-outs during the integration, itself. These sponsored integrations make it possible for me to build a team and produce the highest quality content possible.
Although unpredictable and unreliable, a large portion of revenue comes from YouTube AdSense rates. Because my audience’s time is valuable, I typically limit AdSense placements to pre-roll and post-roll ads and avoid multiple mid-roll ads during the video as much as possible.
The most reliable source of income comes from memberships, like Patreon and YouTube Memberships. Compared to integrations and AdSense, this is a much smaller source of income. However, this revenue plays a key role in planning and budgeting to support the core business. Beyond the financial support, members bring two huge intangible benefits: support and ideas, making them a huge asset to my work.
Even though affiliate programs are very lucrative, they incentivize me to maintain a rigid stance on the products and services I recommend and promote them even when they may not be relevant. Because those incentives don’t align with the value I want to bring my audience, I don’t participate in affiliate programs. That means I only make money from sponsors for the integrations and shout-outs themselves and not when someone signs up.
I am a long-term investor and a shareholder in many tech companies. These investments NEVER influence my research, coverage, or opinions in any of my productions. For full transparency though, I think it’s important to call out my larger positions:
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company
- Unity Software
- Other companies that my have been added or sold since the last update of this page